If you are considering a learning bike for your kid, you usually have 3 options: tricycles, 12 inches bikes with training wheels and balance bike.
If you frequently read balance bike reviews about various brands such as Skuut Balance Bike, you will know that balance bike is one of the best options you could have.
Balance bike helps your kid to learn how to balance quicker and when he transfers to regular bike with pedals, he will encounter no difficulty in learning it.
Balance bike is also considered safer than other methods which could then help to build up your child’s confidence and independence.
If you are thinking about purchasing a balance bike, there are certain features of the bike that you need to take into consideration.
Here are some things to check when you consider a balance bike:
1/ Your Kid’s Height And Weight
Normally, the height of balance bike ranges from 10 inches to 30 inches. Could you notice how significant the differences are? Therefore, you first need to check the height of the balance bike and see what age the balance bike is intended to use for.
You should know about your child’s height before picking up a certain bike. When you measure the height of your baby, tell him to let his shoes off.
Some kids are taller than each other so choosing the size of a balance bike based on age is not accurate as choosing the size of the balance bike based on height.
In addition, you need to check the weight capacity of the balance bike. Thanks to its sturdy structure and durable material, it is not much of a problem. However, here is a simple rule on choosing the weight of the balance bike. Its weight should be weight no more than 30 % of your kid’s weight.
A lightweight balance bike will make it easy for parents to carry around and for kid to maneuver around with ease.
2/ The Tires’ Sizes
There are various tires’ sizes on the market of balance bikes. The most common options you have is the 12 inches and 16 inches. Normally, the 12 inches balance bike will be smaller than the 14 inches and 16 inches bike. However, even the same size of tires as 12 inches, you can have different frame size so that 1 12 inches balance bike will be smaller or larger with the other one.
If you want to carry the kid’s balance bike to travel, you should opt for smaller frame sizes as balance bike with small frame size is more compact and portable.
3/ The Tires’ Material
There are 5 different types of balance bike tires, which are:
- Solid Foam: this type of tire offers the most cushioning so it is suitable to play with this balance bike in any surface. However, the risk that this type of tires to get flat is very high.
- Air: one of the best and most common tires for a balance bike. It provides a lot of cushioning and traction. .
- Rubber Honeycomb: this tire offer a moderate level of cushioning without any possible risk of flats.
- EVA foam: This tire uses one of the latest technologies which can help to prevent a lot of flats. Furthermore, it is very thin and lightweight. One of its drawbacks is that it doesnot offer much padding.
- Hard Plastics: this ties is only suitable for the indoor area.
When you finally purchase the best balance bike for your baby, it is time you learn how to use it safe to ensure the wellbeing of your baby.
Here are some tips on using a balance bike safely:
- Although balance bike is generally safe and can prevent a lot of falls for your kid, it is much better if you can let your kid rid his balance bike in a soft surface, preferably in a playground or in glass. Make sure that the terrain is as flat as possible. When your kid starts to pick up his skills, you can move him to more difficult surface later.
- Furthermore, avoid letting your kid ride his balance bike in a place which have a lot of traffic. You could choose a quiet park or your neighborhood.
- Make sure that the seat is adjustable to your kid’s height so that when he sits on the bike, two of his feet need to touch firmly on the ground.
- Your kid need to wear helmet when he rides on a balance bike at all time. You can find various types of helmet suitable for all ages and head sizes.
- While your kid can do braking with his own feet, it is advisable that your kid needs to go at a slower pace.
- When your kid is about 2 or 3 years old, introduce him to the hand brake system and motivate him to practice braking.
Overall, a balance bike can be a great investment that you have ever made for your baby. You will see how quick and efficient it helps with your baby’s training.
I hope with all of the tips as well as guides I provide in here about what to consider when you buy a balance bike as well as some safety cautions, you would be able to have a good and educational time with your baby.